CES vs. NEF: Supremacy on Nov 4 cancelled

The CES and NEF co-promotion scheduled for November 4 in Lewiston is no more. Executives from both companies announced today that the mixed-martial-arts event had been canceled due to matchmaking issues.

With several fighters pulling off the AXS TV portion of the card, and others turning down fights offered by matchmakers, and with the 30-day deadline to submit the fight card to the state commission for approval looming, the two companies were left with no choice but to call the event off.

“We are disappointed that this event didn’t materialize as planned,” said CES Vice President and Director of Legal Affairs Jimmy Burchfield, Jr. “But we are optimistic that we can make it happen in 2017.”

Details will follow for CES 39.

“It’s unfortunate, but we had no other option,” said NEF promoter Nick DiSalvo. “When one door closes, another opens.”

The door that has opened is Saturday, November 19 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. NEF will present “NEF 26,” and it will feature the promotion’s fighters who had already been scheduled to compete on November 4 plus many others. Doors will open at 6 pm with first fight at 7 pm. NEF chose to push the event date back two weeks in order to give new fighters added to the card more time to prepare.

“Once we made the mutual decision to cancel the event,” said NEF matchmaker Matt Peterson, “I got on the phone and immediately started making calls. Within hours we had already assembled a spectacular card that we’ll be sharing with fans this week. No one will be disappointed when they make the trek to the Colisee on November 19th. We have an explosive event planned.”

For those who have already purchased tickets for November 4 through the Colisee box office, they will have the option of either a full refund or using their ticket for November 19. Fans will have until this Friday, October 7 at 4 pm EDT to call the box office at 207-783-2009 x 525 to request a full refund. The box office cannot refund tickets purchased from fighters. Any fan who purchased a ticket from a fighter and would like a refund will have to return their ticket to the fighter for the refund. Fans who choose to keep their tickets for November 19 do not have to do anything. All tickets printed with the “November 4” date will be honored at the door on November 19.

Koyomi Matsushima, Amir Aliakbari, Ritu Phogat, and Rene Catalan Virtual Media Day 1 Interviews for ‘ONE: BIG BANG’

For more information on both promotions’ upcoming events, please visit www.CESMMA.com and www.NewEnglandFights

ONCE UNDEFEATED BANTAMWEIGHTS LOOK TO GET BACK IN THE WIN COLUMN

They started their amateur careers at a perfect 3-0, respectively. Now, Fred Lear (3-2) and Ali Zebian (3-3) are both hoping to get back to their winning ways.

The mixed-martial-arts (MMA) bout between Lear and Zebian will take place on November 4 at the “CES vs. NEF: Supremacy” super-show in Lewiston. The televised portion of the fight card, “CES 39,” will air live on AXS TV. Lear and Zebian will battle on the non-televised portion of the card, “NEF 26,” at the bantamweight limit of 135-pounds.

Fred Lear is a member of Young’s MMA in Bangor, Maine. He made his NEF debut at “NEF IX” in Biddeford, Maine in the summer of 2013. Lear would finish two of his first three bouts, with a unanimous decision victory over the always-tough Carl Langston (5-8) sandwiched in between.

Lear has dropped his last two, including a title-qualifier to Henry Clark (3-2) last September in Lewiston. He will be looking to rebound from that loss, but he knows Zebian presents a hefty challenge. It is a challenge that Lear welcomes.

“Fighting Ali Zebian on November 4th is a monumental opportunity,” declared Lear. “He is powerful, talented and well coached. I love to compete and am excited for the fight to come.”

Ali Zebian represents Fighting Arts Academy (FAA) of Springfield, Massachusetts. He was just 19-years old when he made his mixed-martial-arts debut in 2013. The start to his career was nothing short of stellar. Zebian finished his first three opponents by technical knockout.

While Zebian has lost his last three, those losses have been to opponents coming in with a combined record of 8-3-1. He has faced stiff competition, and he will face it once again on November 4 against Fred Lear.

“Ali is one of the strongest and most tenacious guys I have ever trained with,” said Zebian’s FAA teammate Nick Newell. “Simple errors cost him his last couple fights, but time off competing to focus on his technique have made him a new man. FAA head coach Jeremy Libiszewski and I have noticed his potential for some time now, and it’s finally all starting to come together.”

###

He is the reigning NEF Amateur MMA Flyweight Champion, and on Friday, November 4, Ryan Burgess (2-1) will make his return to the cage following his first taste of defeat.

Professional Fighters League Continues To Expand International Coverage For 2021 Season

Burgess will compete at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on the “CES vs. NEF: Supremacy” MMA super-show. The televised portion of the fight card, “CES 39,” will air live on AXS TV. Burgess will appear on the non-televised portion of the card, “NEF 26,” where he will take on Tim Flores (3-2).

Burgess, a three-time Maine State wrestling champion for Mountain Valley High School, won the flyweight title last November from Dustin Veinott (5-4) in a split-decision. The two met in a rematch in June. Veinott would miss weight, resulting in the bout becoming a non-title affair. Veinott went on to submit Burgess in the second round. Burgess is confident that his coaches at Berserkers MMA will have him prepared to bounce back from the loss.

“Flores seems like a tough dude and I’m expecting a gritty opponent,” said Burgess. “Coming off a loss, I am eager to jump back in the cage for NEF and capture another victory. With new coaches in my corner, I will be a new fighter come November 4th, and he will be in for a rough night.”

Tim Flores may be a newcomer to the NEF cage, but he is certainly no stranger to the New England MMA community. The Connecticut native was a fixture on Massachusetts fight cards from 2012 to 2014. In the fall of 2013, Flores sent shockwaves through the region with a vicious 18-second knockout of Dan Krall (1-3). Like Burgess, Flores will be looking to rebound from a loss in his last fight, but in doing so he will have to shake off some ring rust as Flores has not competed since the spring of 2014. He now represents Fighting Arts Academy (FAA) of Springfield, Massachusetts.

“I have been out of competition for some time, but have been working while gone,” Flores stated. “I’m looking forward to testing my new skills and bettering myself as a fighter.”

“He is a great athlete with explosive power for a flyweight,” remarked Flores’ coach Nick Newell. “His skills have gone to the next level since joining FAA.”

Tickets for “CES vs. NEF: Supremacy” start at $25 and are available now at www.TheColisee.com or by calling the Colisee box office at 207.783.2009, extension 525.

###

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at the historic Androscoggin Bank Colisee, New England Fights (NEF) and Classic Entertainment & Sports (CES) will team up for a joint super-show featuring the stars of New England’s two most prestigious mixed-martial-arts promotions.

Alejandro Martinez & Daniel Vega fight to draw - Ikon 3 Official Results

The televised portion of the fight card, “CES 39,” will air live on AXS TV. Earlier today, NEF executives announced the first fight scheduled for the non-televised portion of the card, “NEF 26.” Maine heavyweights Ras Hylton (2-0) and Kevin Smith (3-2) will collide in a battle of two of the region’s largest mixed-martial-artists.

Standing in at a towering 6’6,” and holding a black belt in Taekwondo, undefeated Ras Hylton, has become a quick fan-favorite during his short time in NEF. “Ras-squath,” as he has become known amongst his many fans, made his NEF cage debut in February of this year, downing Zak Bergeron (0-1) just over a minute into the first round of their “NEF 21” bout. Hylton would follow up that performance with a highlight-reel head-kick knockout of Matt Glover (1-1) which will undoubtedly be in the running for “KO of the Year” honors. He is currently a member of First Class MMA based in Brunswick, Maine.

“I am looking forward to fighting Kevin Smith November 4th,” said Hylton when reached for comment. “Young’s puts out great fighters and I’m sure he will live up to their reputation. The more wins you get, the tougher your opponents are. He will be my strongest challenge in the cage so far.”

It has been over two years since Kevin Smith stepped into an MMA cage to compete. Prior to that time, Smith had been undefeated on NEF events. All three of his victories with the promotion were finishes – two by way of submission and one knockout. Like Hylton, Smith has never had to rely on the judges’ scorecards. He is a member of Young’s MMA of Bangor, Maine. During his time off from active cage competition, Smith took stock of his life goals and decided to make a career of mixed-martial-arts.

“I knew deep down that fighting is what I was made to do, and I won’t be happy doing a regular job,” shared Smith, “so I put everything aside to focus on this full time and my ultimate goal is to make it to the big show and fight in Bellator or the UFC.”

Tickets for “CES vs. NEF: Supremacy” start at $25 and are available now at www.TheColisee.com or by calling the Colisee box office at 207.783.2009, extension 525.


Email
WhatsApp
Tweet
Share